Faculty and Staff Travel

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/4″][cuny_contextual_menu level=”0″ depth=”1″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”3/4″][cuny_text_box]

Faculty and Staff Travel

Faculty and staff who expect to travel using tax-levy funds as part of their on-going responsibilities should familiarize themselves with applicable NYS travel rules and regulations, including:

[/cuny_text_box][vc_tta_accordion gap=”10″ c_position=”right” active_section=”1582″ no_fill=”true” collapsible_all=”true”][vc_tta_section title=”Travel Tips” tab_id=”1533831076815-c521255c-c427″][cuny_text_box]To improve your travel experience and expedite administrative requirements:

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”CUNYFirst Travel and Expense Module” tab_id=”1533831076883-1550a13b-1672″][cuny_text_box]Faculty and staff who travel on a regular basis (at least once a year) using tax-levy funds will need to make sure that they and the Department Administrator have access to the relevant Travel and Expense modules in CUNYFirst. Please contact your Department Administrator for assistance with the required CUNYFirst Travel Expense User Access Request Form.[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Travel Card (T-Card)” tab_id=”1533831250365-5773747e-2547″][cuny_text_box]CUNY participates in the State of New York Travel Card Program which provides faculty and staff with a mechanism to pay directly for travel expenses without having to pay out-of-pocket expenses. Those who expect to travel on a regular basis (at least once a year) using tax-levy funds should request a New York State Travel Card (T-Card). Please contact the Business Office for assistance with obtaining a T-Card

T-Card Tips

Failure to follow these procedures, especially obtaining approved TAs in advance of travel and submitting complete ERs within five business days after returning from travel may jeopardize your reimbursement and your and your Department’s and the School’s T-Card and travel privileges.

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Concur” tab_id=”1533831573959-4a7a2e69-ba5d”][cuny_text_box]CUNY encourages faculty and staff to use Concur, its online travel reservation system. Concur ensures an easy booking process for NYS travelers, including government rates for flights, hotels and car rentals as well as agent-assisted reservations.

Concur charges transaction fees in the amounts listed below. These charges will appear on the T-Card and must be accounted for in the Expense Report (see below).

Con Transaction Fees Fee per Ticket
Concur Airline & Rail Transaction Fee $4.95
Agent Assisted Airline & Rail Transaction Fee $14.95
Emergency/After Hours Call Transaction Fee FREE

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][/vc_tta_accordion][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][cuny_text_box]

Local Travel

New York State defines “local travel” as travel which is less than 35 miles from your home or work location. Local travel includes professional meetings, conferences, workshops, one-day events and other School-related business, but excludes commuting. By definition, local travel does not include trips with overnight stays.[/cuny_text_box][vc_tta_accordion gap=”10″ c_position=”right” active_section=”1582″ no_fill=”true” collapsible_all=”true”][vc_tta_section title=”Local Travel Guidelines” tab_id=”1533832348193-3e9f96a8-0162″][cuny_text_box]

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][/vc_tta_accordion][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][cuny_text_box]

Out-of-Town Travel

NYS defines “out of town” travel as travel which is more than 35 miles from your home or work location.[/cuny_text_box][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][cuny_text_box]

Before you travel

[/cuny_text_box][vc_tta_accordion gap=”10″ c_position=”right” active_section=”1582″ no_fill=”true” collapsible_all=”true”][vc_tta_section title=”Guidelines for planning your travel” tab_id=”1533834063314-0d8510c4-2b08″][cuny_text_box]

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Travel Authorization (TA)” tab_id=”1535031365625-4868f3ea-2c6d”][cuny_text_box]An approved Travel Authorization (TA) ensures that travel meets a business purpose, is approved by the traveler’s supervisor and that the budget is available and pre-encumbered.

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Making travel arrangements” tab_id=”1535031398431-bd4aa90a-8ff6″][cuny_text_box]

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”State tax exemption for travel within New York State” tab_id=”1536691546130-ecc7ba2f-af2a”][cuny_text_box]New York State Law exempts New York State governmental entities such as CUNY from the payment of New York State sales and use taxes on local travel related expenses within New York State.

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][/vc_tta_accordion][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][cuny_text_box]

During your travel

[/cuny_text_box][vc_tta_accordion gap=”10″ c_position=”right” active_section=”1582″ no_fill=”true” collapsible_all=”true”][vc_tta_section title=”Guidelines for while you are traveling” tab_id=”1535031496989-0fdff398-d796″][cuny_text_box]

[/cuny_text_box][/vc_tta_section][/vc_tta_accordion][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][cuny_text_box]

After you’ve completed your travel

[/cuny_text_box][vc_tta_accordion gap=”10″ active_section=”1000″ no_fill=”true” collapsible_all=”true”][vc_tta_section title=”Expense Reports (ER)” tab_id=”1536683635867-ca07a3dd-179f”][cuny_text_box]